Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bragging Rights

I'm the mom, right? I ask that question repeatedly during the day: after arguing over eating food off the floor, or not flushing the toilet or why people really do care if you wear pants. So I decided this also gives me the right to do some bragging about my generally wonderful children! Besides the above conversations that have happened (not just with Landon!), here are some great things that my children have accomplished in the last weeks.

Claire:
Claire can read! And not just a, it, the, I mean really read! It is so fun to listen to her just pick up a book and start reading it, sound out the words she doesn't know and then actually understand what she just read. She has also started putting inflection in her reading, not always appropriate, but a good start! Claire has also gotten 100% on all of her spelling tests and never missed a sight word. At dance class, she can shuffle fast with the best of them, and can finally leap with both legs. She also can do a Y-scale (stand on one foot with the other foot held up so the legs look like a Y). Claire has recently had an emotional accomplishment, too. A hard one, but a good one. She sees kiddos in her class get color changes for lying, but watched an adult at her school lie to a student. She had major questions about this, which (I think) we have successfully maneuvered around and she now has a good understanding of why nobody should ever lie. Heavy stuff...

Landon:
My little man is officially taking the big boy class at Gymboree, but has now started asking me to leave (sob)! He did great during the soccer unit, he kicked the ball accurately and even learned to stop it. Landon also recognizes the letters in his name and is writing an L. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's legible. I also realized the other day he could count to 16 and actually can recognize all the letters in the alphabet with the exception of 5. Where did all this come from? Landon's newest phrase is "What up, dog?". He said this to the greeter at Walmart Monday...I about peed my pants watching the look on the guy's face! Right now he's playing computer games all by himself, "I don't need your help Mommy, I am smart!". His speaking abilities have really gotten better: he uses I instead of me, or you. We are still working the potty training thing, although we are doing it more often or not. My little guy is becoming such a big boy!

1 comment:

Serena Shurtz said...

i still remember claire bear in her car seat telling me about all the animals and what sounds they made. she's reading??

why do they have to get big??