Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Grade...Here She Comes!


Pretty in pink...and yes the same outfit as below. Showing off the backpack (this is the second one we bought).

Sitting at her desk. "Not tables, like last year. But real desks, Momma!"

Claire's first day of school...
Woke up early. Claire was already dressed before I had breakfast on the table. "Let's straighten my hair today, mom, since I'm wearing a headband." I'm just staring at my baby girl as she is asking me this; the Mommy trying to stay calm and collected while her 6-year-old is nonchalant and all business on her first day. We did straighten the hair, after I brushed it for way longer than it needed, just remembering how she used to have the cute little curls that went up in pig tails so sweetly. Took pictures. Not as many this year. Claire was much too anxious to get to school and get busy. The whole family went along to the mad house that is the first day at Central Park Elementary. Claire was one of the first children in the door, which suited her well today since she had lots to tell her teacher. Her teacher informed her she was the "captain" of her seating ship (desks) and that she knew she would be a good one. They remember each other from last year, which we discovered at open house Monday. We could hardly get a kiss from her before she had started on the the morning work sitting on her desk. Writing her name. Okay, so she's been doing that forever, but neatly and on the line? It was perfection. I just stood and watched her again as she read the directions. Where did the baby go? Suddenly remembered she was at school and we should probably get out of there. Said our goodbyes, no tears. Visited with the teacher, no tears. Made it home, no tears. Yes, I'm talking about me! Claire was fine, my last look at my first grader: a vision in pink polka dots and a beautiful smile. Now, let the tears begin!

2 comments:

I'm just sayin' said...

Claire looks so BEAUTIFUL! What a big girl! I wish her a fanastic year!

Serena Shurtz said...

M, is she wearing wedges?? that outfit is too adorable for words. I remember all her sweet little curls and sweet cheeks. where did they go and who is this beautiful young lady that has stolen the baby away??

I know they are big and I can't stand it. so proud of you for not crying mommy. my bawling did not begin until at the end of day 2 when I felt the bus fiasco was over.