Thursday, September 1, 2011

September

As we were driving to school this morning, I pointed out to the kiddos that it was the first day of September. They were only minimally energetic about this fact, even after I pointed out Hokie football starts, the weather will (hopefully!) start cooling down, and our lives will become more routine. Well, Mommy is excited about all that and more! Landon starts flag football practice tonight, with games following in a couple weeks. Claire starts dance classes with her new competitive company next week. Not to mention all the other things that start to fill up a calendar in the fall! Although I'll miss the spontaneity of summer, I'm ready for the fall schedule!

Other tidbits:

We traveled back to Bentonville last weekend for a good friend's birthday party. We saw lots of other friends and stayed with the Symons' (our old neighbors and good friends) on our whirlwind trip. I didn't realize how much I missed all those Arkansans! It was a fun time, but nice to drive home to Kansas!

A conversation with Landon:
Me: "How was school today?"
Landon: "It was ok. My teacher is mean."
Me: "Mean? How so?"
Landon: "She said it's too hot to go out to recess. I think she just doesn't want to sweat."

Claire has had some issues adjusting to life in Kansas. Geoff and I are at our wit's ends with her more often than not. This morning was no exception. But the girl gave it back to me...
"Mom, I'm trying to work this through, but there is always something else on my mind and I can't ever get past it. We don't get recess the rest of the week because some other kids were being loud. How can I think about being 8 when I am dealing with that?" I guess I'll just have to be patient...

No comments: