Friday, May 21, 2010

A little action...


When we moved to Arkansas, I remember giving Geoff a hard time about tornadoes. We had many conversations that usually centered around Geoff saying Northwest Arkansas doesn't get tornadoes and me saying it only takes one and we don't have a basement! Needless to say, we've been lucky that the storms have not produced damaging tornadoes since we've lived here (the summer before we moved here there was one in Bentonville). We are truly blessed and hopefully will not encounter such an event (Truthfully, I miss that action...just a little. Hey I'm a Kansas girl!!!).

However, we seem to have a new menace in our backyard...Earthquakes!!!! The second in two months occurred last night around 7pm. I was giving the kids a bath and we had the music blaring when Geoff came back with a concerned look on his face. He asked me if I'd heard that big boom...which I had not. He said it shook him and he was concerned...even Maddie-dog was a little freaked! Geoff checked our AC, and the weather, but could not figure out the noise. Quickly, Facebook was teaming with posts about our 2.6 earthquake, whose epicenter was a short mile from our home. The sound Geoff had heard was the sonic boom that coincided with the earth moving! I did not feel either event, but nonetheless, it is a little frightening! Guess we will see a little action after all, although not the type we expected!

No comments: