Sunday, August 8, 2010

Playdates and "Mommy-dates"

Our dinner date.
The layer cake.

The first two weeks of July were spent how summer should be spent...playing! Mommy scheduled lots of playdates...in 10 days we had 13 playdates (yes, I counted)! All of June I heard things like "I never see her anymore", and "how come he can't come over and play?". I solved that problem easily, and I had fun catching up with all the other Mommies too! We spent time at Chuck E Cheese, Jumpzone, the pool, our house, and even the mall. When we weren't playing with other kiddos, the kids and I had "Mommy-dates". The kids chose various, and often random, things to do with just me. Then we all went and had some fun! This included baking a layer cake, having dinner at P.F.Changs and playing Wii (but only games Mommy wasn't good at). I loved spending "downtime" with my kiddos...they were sweet and actually got along with each during our dates!

We also started chore charts this summer. Both Landon and Claire choose from chores that I deem appropriate and then make a chart. Each day they mark whether they completed that chore or not. As the reward for completion (or bonus, as the kids call it), they get to do something special of their own choosing. After a few weeks, the options for the bonus were running thin, so Mommy suggested game night. Although neither child knew exactly what that meant, they were excited about the unknown. At the end of the week, after the charts were completed (and every week they are completed, which is awesome!) our whole family played board games together. The kids had so much fun we've done this several times since, and have added some new favorites. CandyLand, Chutes and Ladders, Disney Monopoly, Life and Sorry are the faves!

No comments: