Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Haircuts galore!




So, my day started off normal...but as you can see, it ended rather drastically! I took the kids to school, got my hair done. Met Geoff at the hairdressers this PM to get Landon and Daddy's hair cut (Landon's is much shorter also, and looks just as cute!). Suddenly, Claire has decided it's her turn. Now, before anyone thinks this amount of change was just off the cuff, I had just made an appointment this morning to get Claire's hair cut at the end of May. She herself, even after lots of professional Mommy persuasion in the opposite direction, decided she wanted her hair "short, short" in her words, and then wanted to give her "leftovers" to Locks of Love. Tonight was the night she went for it! She looks absolutely darling, and a little bit like her mother if you've seen me lately. That was apparently her original idea....

But through Mommy tears, I realized what my daughter really was doing. Locks of Love is a charity organization that takes donated hair and makes wigs for disadvantaged children who require them because of medical conditions. The condition most often causing hair loss for these children is alapecia areata, which is loss of hair with no known cause or cure. My grandma had that...and lost huge clumps of hair all over her head. I can remember my mom trying to fix it and cover the spots with what was left, and then finally resorting to wigs at its worst. This was what I was thinking about while my baby cut her beautiful healthy hair. That someone who could appreciate it would be able to use it. I say that because Claire no longer liked that hair, it was in the way all the time. My baby was so proud of what she was doing, she told everybody she saw this evening. She even seemed a little emotional while we talked about mailing it in to Locks of Love, telling me "I hope some pretty little girl gets this hair and has a big wig to show off". I am blessed, as are we all, to have such sweet babies in this world. I am so proud.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my!!! What a big surprise. Claire looks very cosmopolitan with her new do. Tell her it was very nice of her to donate her hair to someone who will really appreciate it. I can't wait for Poppy to see her pictures, he will love her shorter hair, he thought it was too long. I love it too. (As I sit here with tears running down my face.)

The Hooper Family said...

We are so proud of you Claire! And of course, you look as darling as ever!

Jason said...

Love the new do Claire-Bear!

dee said...

She is so beautiful! What a great heart that she has! What a perfect summer-do!