Thursday, August 14, 2008

KG Open House



Claire went to her school today for open house. She met her teacher and got a quick tour with her classmates. Claire was a little apprehensive..."nervous" is her word. She held on tight to my hand as we walked in and went to her room. After sitting down and playing playdoh with a new friend, she let me go to the library for the parents orientation (the principal talked to us, does that mean they trust us less than the students?). Anyway, when I went back to get her she's got everyone at the table talking, and of course, doesn't want to leave! Her teacher, Mrs. Machan (mah-hon), walked up to visit with me and her first impression of Claire was pretty much right on: "She's not shy, is she!". So, with that under our belts, we await the first bell ring on Monday morning. We were told there will be a professional photographer at the school taking pics of families on the first day, and the drop off procedure was covered...extensively. There are 753 students in Claire's school...a number that astounds me after having worked in elementary schools. The pics are of Claire's new backpack...we had it embroidered with her name, it turned out darling, and Claire in front of her new school, with a topiary shaped as an alligator, her new school mascot (she's wearing her new "gator" shirt in that pic). Most of you reading this are thinking "yeah, but how's mommy?". Well, I only teared up once during open house, I knew too many people there to make a blubbering fool of myself! And although I feel better about Claire going (maybe the nightmares will stop...bullying, lost, stuck in the bathroom, no food for lunch), the worst part is yet to come. I will not cry, I will not cry...

2 comments:

The Hooper Family said...

If I want to cry reading this post, then you will cry on Monday morning. Sorry, no getting around that fact. Can't believe she is big enough for kindergarten! I can't wait to hear all about her first day!

Serena Shurtz said...

Meggan, it is excruciating...shopping helps.